I must admit that I tend to be somewhat of a skeptic when it comes to this type of thing. I have seen and heard more than my share of kooks and wing-nuts in my time. However, I do believe that Jonathan has seen something here that is real - the convergence of the details is far too precise to be accidental. Look up the details for yourself.
Here it is in a nutshell. "The Harbinger" is a prophetic book, written to reveal that the United States is under the judgment of God because it has turned away from its dependence upon Him, and has given itself to idolatry, carnality, selfishness and pride. It is a call to repentance for America, and it's pretty convincing.
The book is written as a novel, though with actual events, and keys around an ancient prophecy found in Isaiah 9:10 -
"The bricks have fallen,
But we will rebuild with hewn stone;
The sycamores have been cut down,
But we will plant cedars in their place."
These verses refer to the response of the nation of Israel after an attack by the Assyrians. The attack was allowed by God as a warning for the nation to return to Him. Instead, their answer was that they would build again, stronger than before. They would not turn back to God but would, instead, defy their enemies in their own strength.
"The Harbinger" speaks of a number of remarkable similarities between the two, but also, a converging of the two events, applying ancient meaning to recent happenings. The word "harbinger" means warning or sign, and there are actually a number of signs that are given.
Using his understanding of Jewish culture and Biblical tradition Cahn makes a convincing case.
- America's leaders actually quoted Isaiah 9:10 in speeches related to 9/11, not realizing that they were speaking judgment on their own nation. They did this on three separate occasions, including the day after 9/11 by the Senate majority leader. "By the mouth of two or three witnesses the matter shall be established." (Deuteronomy 19:15)
- Some bricks that fell from the Twin Towers took down a sycamore tree on grounds adjacent to Ground Zero.
- The roots of the tree became a memorial and a symbol of defiance.
- A cedar tree was planted in its place.
- A hewn stone was symbolically placed at the site of Ground Zero, accompanied by a ceremony.
- Biblically, judgment tends to take place where the original covenant (agreement) took place.
- When the United States began, New York City was its capital.
- On April 30, 1789, George Washington became President and the first official government was established at Federal Hall (at Wall Street). On that day, Washington declared: "The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself hath ordained."
- After his inauguration, Washington lead a procession of his government to a little stone church just blocks away to pray a blessing on the nation. The entire nation had received a pronouncement to attend church and pray for the country at the same time.
- The church where they prayed was at the site of 9/11 - the only small building in close proximity that was left standing after the collapse of the towers. The sycamore tree was in the church yard. The church is now a museum of sorts.
- At the time of the inauguration the church grounds extended through the site of the twin towers.
- When the towers fell, the impact was felt for miles; the foundation of the old Federal Hall was cracked by the force.
- The Founding Fathers recognized that the United States would only be blessed and protected by God if the nation obeyed His commands.
- God is a God of order and uses specific days to convey a message.
- On a specific day (the 29th day of the Hebrew month Elul) every seven years the Jewish nation was commanded to release all debt, It was called "The Lord's release" or "Shemitah."
- The greatest single stock market crash in Wall Street history, up to that time, took place on the 29th day of Elul - September 17, 2001.
- Seven years later to the day, in the Jewish calendar (the 29th of Elul again), on September 29th, 2008 that record was beaten as the stock market plunged again. It fell 7 percent in one day. It dropped 777 points, precisely 7 years from the previous event by the Jewish calendar on the day of "Shemitah."
"So then the two greatest Wall Street stock market crashes not only happened on the same day on the biblical calendar, and on the one day of the biblical year ordained to wipe away credit and debt, but each one fell seven years apart on the exact once in seven years occurrence of that one Hebrew day. It's beyond amazing..."Judgment is intended for warning. God's desire is always for people to turn back to Him, witness the case of Nineveh, the great city of the Assyrians, that repented after Jonah preached to them. This is God's desire for all of us.
In 2 Chronicles 7:13-14 God spoke to Solomon on the occasion of the dedication of the temple and told him what the nation was to do should they fall under judgement. It's something we would all do well to heed: "When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people, if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
By the way, the fact that the book refers to judgment in no way implies that Al Qaeda was right. They are morally culpable for their actions, just as the Assyrians were who attacked ancient Israel. They simply played a part in this drama.
There is obviously much that I left out, for the sake of space, but I encourage you to read the book for yourself and make your own decision. I include here a link to a site that converts our calendar to the Jewish calendar. At the very least, this novel provides an opportunity for sober reflection.
Book Review: "Why Jesus?"
Some Books Worth Reading
The Manhattan Declaration
"Truth" - by Ravi Zacharias